April Skater of the Month: Demandrea
1. What attracted you to the sport of Roller Derby and what keeps you going?
I was invited to watch E-Ville play in the National Championships and it was the most intense two half an hour periods of my life. I bought my fresh meat package that day. I love a challenge and I started from an absolute zero skating background. I constantly want to better myself and E-Ville really brings that out in me.
2. How did you come up with your derby name?
I run drilling crews and do engineering management for a consulting company. I can come across as quiet until you get to know me, but when it comes to my work it's going to be done the way I asked. It became a running joke that I had a list of demands for the crew and they started the nickname.
3. How would you describe yourself in 3 words?
Animal loving weirdo.
4. Who is your nemesis on the track?
Being still semi new at this point it's hard not to be a target, but Natty Dredd has never been shy to hit me.
5. Do you have any pre-game rituals?
Any time I need to get amped up I crank a sweet playlist and practice visualization.
6. If Hollywood made a movie about your life, who would play you in the lead role?
Kesha. I'm not even sure if she can act but that's about fitting for me. People underestimate her for nothing but a party girl, but you know she didn't end up where she is without endless hours of hard work and determination. She also knows how to party.
7. If you could have any super power what would it be?
Can it be an item? I want Hermione's time turner, I need more hours in a day.
8. How has Roller Derby Saved your soul?
Physically it's given me an outlet to blow off steam, and challenged me beyond what I ever thought I could be capable of. Mentally, the league has been a huge support system for me and is incredibly accepting without judgement. It's one of the first times in my life I can say I've truly been raw and myself...and I absolutely love it.
9. What do you do when you are not playing Roller Derby?
Aside from being a workaholic, I love ashtanga yoga and meditation...a little bit of yin to derby's yang.
10. Who is your Derby Hero/Role Model?
All the girls in the league bring something unique, from footwork to attitude, to aspire to be!
Be sure to come see Demandrea in action at our next bout on April 30! Tickets can be bought online at Brown Paper Tickets!