May Skater of the Month: Scarstruck
1. What attracted you to the sport of Roller Derby and what keeps you going?
I played competitive ringette for most of my life and then quit during university so I could concentrate on my grades. I really missed being part of a team and challenging myself physically so once school was done I was planning to go back to ringette but I found derby instead.
2. How did you come up with your derby name?
I’m the most non-creative person in the world and actually thought the whole derby name thing was kinda dumb so I didn't put a lot of thought into finding one. However, a skater from my old league thought up the name “Scarstruck” for me and I thought it suited me because I’m all scarred up from old injuries and surgeries.
3. How would you describe yourself in 3 words? A: Competitive, stubborn and feisty (my husband helped me with these answers, lol).
4. Who is your nemesis on the track? A: Umm I’m not sure if I have a nemesis. I usually try to stay as far away from Dolly as possible when I have to play against her- that girl can send me flying in the air in a way most blockers can’t (since I’m not a small jammer). However, I do love when she is on my team and I can watch her soul-suck the opposing jammers...that’s fun!
5. Do you have any pre-game rituals? A: Breathe deeply and go pee
6. If Hollywood made a movie about your life, who would play you in the lead role? A: Eva Mendes
7. If you could have any super power what would if be? A: In real life I work in a hospital ...so I would want “Healing Powers” so I could heal all my patients. I would sneak into the hospital rooms in the middle of the night...and “bang” everyone would walk out the next day. I guess this would put me out of a job though.
8. What is your spirit animal? A: What the heck is a spirit animal?
9. How has Roller Derby Saves your soul? A: Well I don’t think it has saved my soul; in fact, I will be just fine when I do decide to quit skating and will really appreciate all the free time. However, I think derby is pretty dang fantastic cause it’s about being a strong women and it always challenges me. Also it has allowed me to meet some really cool people that I probably won’t befriend in real life. It’s like “well you have some interesting idiosyncrasies and so do I, but you play derby so you must be awesome and let’s be BFF”
10. What do you do when you are not playing Roller Derby? I enjoy working out, biking, snowboarding, hanging out with my niece and nephew and reading/watching sci-fi books/movies.
11. Who is your Derby Hero/Role Model? Suzy Hotrod! She so cool.